2.11.2010


Dark chocolate. Peanut butter.

Need I say more? Oh, it's vegan too... with a homemade honey graham cracker crust.




Tonight I am going to a "salon" party put on by my boss at the Art Mag. Remember the good ol' days when we could sit around in a fancy parlor and discuss the Age of Enlightenment? Well I don't either, but I do know that when one has a party, especially with a "Love, Lust, and Seduction" theme, I would bring a pie.

Love, lust, and especially seduction can all be attained through dark chocolate in my opinion. For me it would be chocolate and Joao Gilberto, so maybe I'll bring a mixed CD too.

You could also make this for your sweetheart/best friend/ anyone for Valentine's Day... but don't be cliche, make it on a random Wednesday for someone who deserves it.

My next random baking adventure for some lucky lad will be a raspberry truffle tart from the Joy of Baking. Stay tuned.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

12 oz good quality dark chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
1 package silken tofu
12 full honey graham crackers
about 1/2 c Earth Balance "butter"
3/4 c natural peanut butter
vegan confectioner's sugar to taste (I used less tha 1/4 cup?)

I used a springform pan, but you could use any pie dish as well.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Crush the graham crackers until crumbly, breaking up all the pieces so it makes a finer texture. Melt the butter, add it gradually to the graham until it becomes able to stick together. Press the mixture into the springform pan, or whatever you're using. Bake for about 10 minutes, then pop it in the freezer to cool.

Let's make the filling! Melt the dark chocolate chips in the microwaves. Put them in a microwave safe bowl and heat on 50% power for 4 minutes or so, stirring every so often. Meanwhile, put the tofu in the blender and whip until smooth and fluffy. This will make for a nice light pie texture.

When the chocolate is ready, pour it into the blender and whip again until completely combined, scraping the sides when necessary. Pour the chocolate filling into your cooled crust.

And now for the peanut butter... Melt it in the microwave for a minute. Stir in the powdered sugar to taste. This thickens up the peanut butter so it hardens nicely in the chocolate.

Pour the peanut butter over the chocolate and use a spatula or fork to swirl in a nice pattern. Put it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight for best results. Enjoy with friends.

This has been my theme song all day... good for baking and putting out the right kind of vibes.


No comments:

Post a Comment