4.25.2009

I have been feeling the tropical fruit itch lately. The new temperature highs make me lust for winter vacation. Yes, I did say winter vacation. This past winter was spent in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica where the surf went off every single day.



We bought all our food from a local market called "Super Ronny" and made due with our cabina having only a small mini fridge.





Mangoes were a staple. We also drank endless amounts of coconut water and warded off starvation with homemade whole wheat bread from a local baker.



I wanted to make something that combines all these things, and thus it came to me: Mango coconut bread. I made this last week in anticipation of driving back home to FL for a couple of days. Naturally, I didn't take any pictures. Tonight I remade the mango bread, so I was able to snap a few shots. They don't really do it justice. The mango's sweetness keeps the loaf moist. I think it's even better when put in the fridge overnight.



Mango Coconut Bread:

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking soda
1 cup raw sugar
2 eggs
2 cups diced mangoes (about 2 mangoes)
1 cup dried, unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup almond milk
1 tbsp nutmeg
sprinkle of sea salt

Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and greasing 2 small loaf pans. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, flax seeds, nutmeg, salt and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, sugar, almond milk, and oil.

Beat these ingredients together to get a smooth consistency, then add the mangoes. Pour the mango mixture into the bowl with the flour and stir until completely combined. If the mixture seems too dry, add more almond milk.

When it is combined, add coconut and stir again until it's mixed in well. Pour into the two loaf pans and baked for about an hour, checking it after 45 minutes.


Tonight I wanted to make it again, but forgot the coconut and flax seeds, using banana instead. A good variation is to add 2 very ripe bananas, puree one cup mango, and take out the almond milk. That gives it a little banana makeover that's just as moist and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment