10.22.2010




"Karma Repair Kit: Items 1-4"
1. Get enough food to eat,
    and eat it.

2. Find a place to sleep where it is quiet,
    and sleep there.

3. Reduce intellectual activity and emotional noise
    until you arrive at the silence of yourself,
    and listen to it.

4. 



- Richard Brautigan, 1967



Not a day passes when I don't have a new idea about things I want/need to accomplish in this lifetime. I intend to start... one of these days. Without the forced deadlines of college, it is increasingly difficult to stay motivated. Not to mention I live on the beach, where the weather is perfect for daydreaming and playing outside... all day. And when night comes, I do on occasion bartend at a country/honky tonk bar.... how ironic.. probably the last place in the world you'd find me. But it is fun.

And not that I need it, but no one ever warned me how easy it would be to get off track after school is over. Almost 6 months out now. If you had asked me where I'd be after college a couple years ago and blah blah blah etc. what everyone says. I am happy. I'm working it out. I'm Taylor Chloe Berk.

Still baking insanely good for you treats, hosting weekly dinner parties, planning trips, hanging with Jimbo America, writing, reading, surfing, smiling. My brother has commissioned me to grocery shop for him and cook weekly meals, healthy of course. Could this start a new business? I am still waiting for my phone call from the Food Network begging me to star in my own show and be sent to exotic locations to commentate. Until that day comes.... which should be around next year or so..... I will continue on. 




In the spirit of year-round island warmth, I give you a snapper ceviche recipe.


What you need:
  • 8 ounces snapper fillet large dice
  • 8 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/4 cup mango juice
  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • 1 small red onion small dice
  • 2 to 3 medium serrano chiles, diced (remove seeds if you want it milder)
  • handful of chopped cilantro

What to do:
  1. Place fish in a nonreactive mixing bowl, and toss with 2 tablespoons of the lime juice until it is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (the fish should be opaque in color and firm to the touch).
  2. About 30 minutes before the fish is ready, combine remaining 6 tablespoons lime juice with mango juice, tomatoes, onion, chiles, and cilantro in a nonreactive mixing bowl; set aside to marinate.
  3. When the fish is ready, add tomato-onion mixture and toss to combine. To serve, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and transfer ceviche to chilled serving dishes. Add homemade guacamole on the side to balance out the heat in the serrano peppers.

 Adapted and improved from a recipe on CHOW.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment