7.04.2009

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!





I got to wake up to America's birthday without a cell phone, wallet, or bag. Phone-less, money-less, and generally hopeless because some guy jacked my bag at a 4th of July eve party last night. What a mess! There are four things that I lost that really upset me:
1)a keychain Sarah Roogle gave me from an obscure little shop in Barcelona
2)ginger lemon lip balm
3)my new recipe/ random thoughts notebook
4)my von zipper sunglasses Jocelyn gave me for my birthday!

Not my phone, cash, ID, or credit card really matter compared to these things. Silly I know. ANYWAY................

For the 4th of July, Shawn's parents always have a big party at their house on the water that overlooks downtown. I wanted to make something special to bring this year. Luckily, I have known since May what I wanted to make ha ha....seriously. CAKE POPS! I saw them on Bakerella blog: http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/04/make-your-cupcakes-pop.html They are the cutest party food I have ever laid eyes upon.



They did take a couple days to make because of my schedule, but they are well worth it.

CAKE POPS: adapted from Bakerella.
1 13X9 baked cake (I used extra moist chocolate)
1 can cream cheese frosting
2 packages white chocolate
bowls for dipping
wax paper
about 50-75 lollipop sticks
red and blue sprinkles or any colors
styrofoam block to hold the cake pops

Bake the cake per box instructions and let it cool completely before using. I baked mine the night before just to get it out of the way. Yes, I realize this is an empty glass pan but you get the idea!





Crumble the cake into a big bowl and add the entire container of cream cheese frosting. Mix until entirely combined. I put mine back in the fridge for several hours after this to help it firm up again.




Roll the cake with your hands into little balls about 1.5 inches or so and place them on a sheet of wax paper. Put a lollipop stick in each ball. Place them in the freezer while you prepare the chocolate and bowls of sprinkles.





Melt the white chocolate in intervals in the microwave at 50% power. Stir it often so it does not burn. While it is melting, put the sprinkles in separate bowls for dipping.
When the chocolate is melted, take the cake pops out of the freezer and dip them in the chocolate. You can either dip them in the bowls of sprinkles or do it free hand. I did a little of both. When finished, place the pop back on the wax paper and put it in the freezer for about an hour to really harden the chocolate exterior.




See how easy! I rocked it out this morning despite all my misfortunes. However, I did make a "Sean Paul" station on the Pandora.com radio to listen to while I decorated my cake pops. Who can stay in a bad mood when "Temperature" comes on? Dancehall always puts me in a good mood. Feelin' irie!



Can't wait to shot off my cake pops at the party tonight. Everyone will be jealous, and they should.





No comments:

Post a Comment