4.14.2010

Lately, I must confess, my baking has been way off. Banana bread not moist enough. Pizza crusts... just... subpar at best. Admittedly, my head has been completely in the clouds, but I like it there. This week I'm gaining some clarity through a bit of a fast/yoga/sunshine fest.. Glad I chose the week where I'm bombarded with work, exams, papers, and projects, but so it goes. Baking failures aside, I did make one thing I am very proud of undertaking. Rhubarb-peach pie with a lattice crust. This is the ultimate Martha Stewart kind of pie. I even used my fancy William Sonoma cakestand to display it.


Proudly this recipe is my own, making the pate brisee crust, using raw sugar and minimal ingredients to let the tartness of the rhubarb and the juicy sweetness of the peach takeover the pie.

Rhubarb-Peach Pie

2 pie crusts (this is what I did)
2 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
3 cups fresh peaches sliced
1 cup turbinado sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
3-ish tbsp flour
cinnamon & nutmeg to taste
1 tsp vanilla
Earth balance vegan "butter"

Preheat the oven to 350. Roll out one of your pie crusts into a pie dish and roll the other out onto the counter  on a floured surface. You will use these after you make the filling.

Toss the fruit with the sugar, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, and spices. I like a good bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in mine, but to each his own. Let it sit while you make the lattice crust.  Feel free to add more flour is necessary because the rhubarb can be a bit watery, especially when it bakes.

Pour the fruit filling into the crust and top with a lattice pattern. Bake for about an hour.


I would let the pie cool a bit and also let the filling thicken. My pie didn't even last over 24 hours and I bet yours won't either.

In other news...random websites I found today...
My Very Worst Date
Unnecessary Quotes
Literally, a weblog

No comments:

Post a Comment